Advanced Emergency Medical Technician
The Advanced Emergency Medical Technician certificate program prepares students to provide basic and limited advanced emergency medical care and transportation for critical and emergent patients who access the emergency medical system. This individual possesses the basic knowledge and skills necessary to provide patient care and transportation. Advanced Emergency Medical Technicians function as part of a comprehensive EMS response, under medical oversight. Advanced Emergency Medical Technicians perform interventions with the basic and advanced equipment typically found on an ambulance. The Advanced Emergency Medical Technician is a link from the scene to the emergency health care system. Successful completion of the program allows the graduate to take the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians AEMT certification examination and apply for Georgia licensure as an AEMT.
The Utah State Department of Health, Bureau of Emergency Medical Services has granted EMT UTAH the authorization to conduct the Advanced Emergency Medical Technician courses.
The program provides students the opportunity to learn through theory and practical applications how to be professional Emergency Medical Technician at an advanced level in caring for patients, families, and coworkers if the need arise. Students are prepared for a career in Advanced EMS through lecture, laboratory, and clinical experiences. Graduates from the AEMT Program will receive a Certificate of Completion from EMT UTAH.
The objective of the Advanced Emergency Medical Technician or AEMT program of study is The Advanced EMT is designed to take students from Basic to Advanced Life Support skills. Advanced life support and patient assessment in the time of crisis are the main skills learned. The text and lecture formats are designed for the students in a single course to achieve the goal of certification under the Utah State Bureau of Emergency Medical Services as an advanced level EMT.
Program Cognitive Objective:
At the completion of the program, the student will demonstrate the ability to comprehend, apply, and evaluate the clinical information relative to his/her role as an entry level Advanced EMT.
Program Psychomotor Objective:
At the completion of the program, the student will demonstrate technical proficiency in
all skills necessary to fulfill the role of entry level Advanced EMT.
Program Affective Objective:
At the completion of the program, the student will demonstrate personal behaviors consistent with professional and employer expectations for the entry level Advanced EMT.
- 18 years of age or older.
- Possess current National Certification at the EMT level or a current state license at the EMT level or higher.
- Verification from the Program Director that you hold a current CPR-BLS for Healthcare Providers or equivalent credential and have demonstrated competence in Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) skills.
- Students must have a valid and current EMT designation with the State of Utah BEMS
- Student must be at least 18 years of age and attest that he or she has graduated from high school or has obtained a GED
- Student must be able to attend all classroom and training hours
GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS: None
- Basic Life Support CPR certification (AHA)
- Utah State EMT Certification (verified)
- Negative TB test (within the past year)
- Picture ID
- Clean criminal background
TUITION INCLUDES: $785.00
- Advanced EMT Textbook
- 20 hours of lecture, lab and skills practice.
- Remediation and tutoring
- Job Placement Assistance
- All A-EMT students must wear an EMT Utah Shirt in class $12. Dress code also requires students wear dark navy or black pants, belt, closed toes shoes
- Watch with a second hand – this may be purchased from the school for $10
- TB Card (must be current within the last 12 months) At school $15
- Basic Life Support CPR card (current) At UEMTC $40 (discount of $10)
ADDITIONAL TESTING FEES:
Beginning January 1, 2015 all AEMT courses will be testing through National Registry. There are advantages to doing this as it will better validate the competency of the Advanced EMTs graduating from our program at EMT Utah. The AEMT will have a certification recognized nationally and even internationally.
This program allows students to sit for the National Registry Emergency Medical Technicians examination. Click here for testing information and protocols.
TESTING FEES INCLUDE:(total testing fees are $380 to $415)
Fees paid to the state with the application: ($180 for instate and $215 for out of state)
- Quality Review and processing fee is $50
- Practical psychomotor skills exam $100
- Criminal Background Check $30 or $65 if the candidate has lived outside of Utah at any time in the past 5 years. Total application fee is $180 of $215
Fees paid to NREMT ($100)
· Candidate will pay $100 to National Registry to take the written test at a Pearson Vue site
Fees paid to EMT Utah before the end of class: ($100)
· $100 to the school to pay for the NREMT proctor and other testing personnel. Testing will take approximately 6-8 hours.
Current Utah Pearson Vue Sites:
· NREMT Southwest Applied Technology College Cedar City UT United States
· NREMT Pearson Professional Centers-Ogden UT Ogden UT United States
· NREMT Pearson Professional Centers-Draper (Salt Lake City) Draper UT United States
· NREMT Dixie College of Utah St George UT United States
· NREMT Pearson Professional Centers-Bountiful (SLC) UT Bountiful UT United States
Optional and Additional Training Includes:
- Enrollment in the EMT Utah Volunteer Corps – a chance to increase your number of patient contact hours.
- Access to workshops, quest speakers and lectures.
- Monthly newsletter
- $95 discount on a Computer Fundamentals workshop aimed at increasing IT knowledge (SLC Campus Only).
- ACLS/PALS and PHTLS bundle pricing for EMT Utah AEMT students only.
Award:Students who successfully complete the program will be recommended for testing and will receive a Completion Certificate.