Once a student registers for a program and pays the deposit, the student may receive a full refund if a student notifies the school that he or she has decided not to attend the program within three business days after making payment – this cooling-off period extends to midnight of the third day after payment is made. This notification must be in writing, in person, via email, or over the phone. Students who enroll in an online course are not eligible to receive a refund of their deposit once they have been sent and have redeemed their online access code, even if they request a refund within three days of making payment, as these access codes cannot be disabled or returned.
If a student pays the deposit and drops out of the program before the first day of class but after three days of making payment, the student is only eligible to be refunded for any tuition paid minus the deposit. If a student drops out of a program after the program has begun, the student is not entitled to a refund of any money. If a student does not notify the school that they intend to drop or transfer BEFORE the first day begins, they are not eligible to reapply the tuition – no exceptions. If you are paying over time, dropping out of the program does not absolve you of the obligation to pay your tuition in full.
Any products or supplies purchased that have not been received by the student are refundable. Students are not eligible for a refund for supplies and purchases once a program begins or the student takes possession. Supplies, equipment, and online access codes may not be returned.
All refunds are processed within 30 days after the student requests a refund. If it is determined a refund is owed, the refund will be processed via the same method as the original payment.
There is a Hardship Request process if you believe that unforeseen and extenuating circumstances warrant an exception to the Refund Policy. You must submit a Hardship Request in writing for EMT Utah to consider a refund of any money after a class begins. The school will take into consideration the conditions that support the request and a determination will be made within 15 business days as to the extent of any exception that can be made in regard to the payment of tuition fees. There will be no refund for any items purchased that have already been received by the student such as a textbook, blood pressure cuff, stethoscope, t-shirt, online access code, etc. The remaining tuition, if any portion is refunded, will be pro-rated according to the portion of the course you have attended or completed prior to the notification date. This pro-ration will be by week, so all weeks in which a class was offered prior to the request will be counted in the calculation even if the student did not attend class. Decisions regarding refunds are at the discretion of EMT Utah and all decisions are final.
A request for an exception must meet the following criteria:
- All requests for exceptions to the EMT Utah Program Withdrawal and/or Refund Policies must relate to circumstances occurring during the program and only if the student has not completed more than 50% of all program hours. Once the program has passed the 50% mark, there are no refunds or exceptions;
- A direct “cause and effect” relationship can be demonstrated between the extenuating circumstances and the student’s ability to successfully complete his/her program;
- Circumstances experienced and their resulting impact must be unforeseeable and/or must not have been reasonably prevented during the time period in question; and
- Relevant documentation must be furnished by an appropriate authority to support the claim. Documentation must be signed and on the official letterhead of the issuing authority and include the contact information for this authority. Examples include a letter from a physician, military deployment orders, etc.
The only reasons for consideration for an exception to the cancellation or refund policy are:
- Death of the student or an immediate family member
- Military mobilization that is sudden and unexpected
- Serious injury or illness of the student or immediate family member that required hospitalization
- Work-related transfer by an employer that is more than 35 miles from the EMT Utah campus.
The following issues cannot be addressed through the Hardship Request process:
- Unsatisfactory academic progress or failure to be recommended due to poor attendance, grades, or any other reason
- Complaints about classroom instruction or curriculum, supplies, equipment, etc.
Please consult the Program Director, the Course Coordinator, or other administrative representatives for assistance regarding any of the above issues.
A complete request must include the following:
- The completed online form below (or an emailed, mailed, or in-person request);
- A typed, detailed personal statement (please limit this to 1 page); and
- Relevant and supporting documentation that pertains to the time period at issue. Incomplete requests will be closed and denied but may be re-opened once the required documentation is submitted.
You may also email or mail your documents to EMT Utah or you may bring them in person to our administrative offices in Salt Lake City.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org – Please attach the form to the email
Administrative Office Address: 1135 S. West Temple, Salt Lake City, UT 84101
The school will respond to all communications pertaining to your request via email so please make sure the email we have on file is current and accessible to you.
What Happens Next?
The school will take into consideration the conditions that support the request and a determination will be made as to the extent of any exception that can be made in regard to the payment of tuition fees. There will be no refund for any items purchased such as a workbook, blood pressure cuff and stethoscope, t-shirt, online access code, etc. and the deposit is non-refundable. The remaining tuition may be refunded but will be pro-rated according to the portion of the course you have attended or completed prior to the notification date. This pro-ration will be by week, so all weeks in which a class was offered prior to the request will be counted in the calculation even if the student did not attend class.
A decision will be made within 15 days and we will notify you of our decision via email. Please ensure we have a valid email address on file for you. Approved refunds will be processed within 30 days. All decisions are final.
Request for Exception Form: